Unless otherwise stated, most of the businesses listed here will be located in Virginia
Many of these bloggers I know personally and I highly recommend checking them out. I try to keep this list updated as much as possible. Be sure to follow them on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ if you can!
- All Day I Dream About Food – A friend I met at Eat Write Retreat with a focus on gluten-free and low carb recipes.
- All in the Name of Noms – My good friends Erik’s & Josie’s blog!
- Ask Chef Dennis – A brilliant trained chef I met at Eat Write Retreat who loves helping other food bloggers.
- BraveTart – Pastry Chef Stella Park teaches us more about pastry!
- BreadHitz – A chef from Johnson & Wales University has a website and youtube channel dedicated to spreading the knowledge of bread. Visit his youtube channel breadhitz to see how to make and work with bread
- A Brown Table – Features inspiring flavor combinations and recipes and brilliant photography
- Copykat Recipes – One of the longest active food bloggers (since 1995!) I met at Eat Write Retreat with videos and recipes that mimic popular restaurant recipes.
- The Country Cook
- Eat Drink and Be Merry
- Egg Wans Food Odyssey – A focus on Asian foods
- Feast of Fiction – Vlog where they make food from video games and anime
- Fifteen Spatulas – A fellow video blogger and a friend from Eat Write Retreat
- The Food Poet – I love the way this Eat Write Retreat attendee approaches food! With amazing food photography and talented poetry each post will capture your heart.
- Girl in the Little Red Kitchen – A talented food blogger who I met at Eat Write Retreat. Her recipes are incredibly tempting!
- Healthful Pursuit
- The Lemon Bowl – Healthy Foods
- Jackie’s Joie de Vivre – A food blog focusing on the mission to end hunger
- A Life of Spice with Monica Bhide – An inspiring woman who takes food blogging to the next level. Many of her recipes focus on Indian cuisine and is sure to inspire you to try new foods. Plus she’s local to me!
- LilaLoa – Cookies and cakes blog
- Roxana’s Home Baking – An amazing woman I met at Eat Write Retreat with a brilliant personality – plus she’s local to me! A focus on sweets and baking.
- Sabor – A friend of mine in California with a focus on Cuban foods. She is in the process of launching her own business!
- Sarah in the Kitchen – Gluten-free recipes by a good friend I met at Eat Write Retreat
- Savory Simple – A food blog with quality recipes written by a friend I met at Eat Write Retreat. She has an amazing back story of following her passion and takes recipe writing very seriously!
- Serious Eats – An expansive website with regular contributors. They’re food lab and cocktail articles are some of the best.
- Sweets by Sillianah
- Sweet Expressions By Donna – Great source for more tutorials and inspriation
- SugarBelle’s – A very helpful cookie decorating tutorial blog
- Wild Yeast – A focus on Breads
Alphabet Soup Podcast with Kelly Vass and Autumn Giles – These two ladies are food lovers and make you want to love food as much as they do. They have regular segments like “Recipe for Disaster” where they try to guess a recipe from its ingredients likened to “Name that Tune”. Autumn’s “Cocktail Memoirs” is a great segment to get you to create and try new cocktails at home with accessible ingredients.
Killer Food and The Food Craftsmen Project with Ryan K Parker – Ryan interviews amazing people whose lives revolve around food including home cooks, professional chefs, and business people who took their passion to the next level.
The Splendid Table with Lynne Rossetto Kasper – If you’re a lover of food you need to listen to this podcast. Lynne interviews chefs, bakers, authors, bloggers, travelers, restauranteurs, celebrities, wine lovers, and so much more during her show and you learn so much. You can read up on old episodes on the site and even listen to old shows. Live shows are aired on Saturdays.
TED Talks – Speakers of all backgrounds come to share their wisdom on this podcast. I particularly love the science and technology speakers. Keep an open mind and you may look at your life and the world in a clearer way. Be sure to get the video podcast since the speakers tend to use powerful visuals.
Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me – This NPR show is a lot of fun. It takes news topics and turns them into a quasi-game show with celebrities and comedians. Always a ton of laughs.
Helpful Youtube Videos
Cake Decorators and Bakers
Amphora Bakery (Herndon)
Bellington Farm (Farmville)
Bijou’s Sweet Treats (Luray) – Cookies and Cakes!
Cakes by Megan (Northern Virginia)
Confections Cupcakery (Woodbridge)
Cravings Cupcakery (Woodbridge) – Cakes and Cupcakes
Edible Weddings – Not cakes, but gorgeous eye catching candy arrangements for your wedding and special occasions. A really clever unique idea!
Eloise’s Pastries (Warrenton) – Cakes and Pastries (accommodates special diets)
Esquire Confections, LLC
Fat Girl Cakes (Stafford)
Gateau (Warrenton) – Gourmet cakes (accommodates special diets)
Great Harvest Bread of Warrenton
Passionflower Cakes (Harrisonburg)
Sue’s Pies – serving Fauquier and Prince William County and more, find her at farmer’s markets
Triple Oak Bakery (Sperryville) – Gluten-Free
Creative Cakes by Julie – Check out her Facebook albums. Her fondant, gum paste, and sugar work is some of the best I’ve seen!
England and the UK
Caterers and Savory (Virginia)
Kerekes Bakery Supplies Has tons of rare and hard to find baking and pastry equipment, silicone molds, tools, packaging, and more all available online.
Shop Bakers Nook – They also have a baking and pastry forum on Facebook!
The Webstaurant Store Sells a ton of bakery supplies as is available for home delivery. Shipping is a little pricey but you can buy lots of professional stock (like cake circles and parchment paper) in bulk. A great start for home bakers look to start a home business.
The Restaurant Store (also serves Wilmington, Delaware and sells over the Internet as well)
Ingredients and Components Available Online
CK Powdered food coloring (great for gum paste flowers)
Crystal Colors, LLC (great for gum paste flowers, variety of supplies also available)
Glazing Fondant / Poured Fondant (Petits Fours Fondant)
King Arthur Flour
LorAnn Oils (for flavoring icings, candies, and chocolates)
Always order a size smaller in chef jackets! If you wear a small you may want to get a x-small! That’s what I wear.
Madam Chef – A fellow alumni started this company! If you’re looking a cute or sexy chef outfit check it out! Madam Chef makes my chef jackets!
Johnny Cupcakes – One look at their logo and you will fall in love
Friends of the Aubergine Chef
DC Nova and McGlothlin Properties
Foul Fortune (my brother and local rap artist)
Imagine Web/Graphic Design and Marketing
Gaeltek Technologies, an IT firm specializing in small businesses
Simplicity Events by Johanna (local wedding/event planner)
Conquer the Clutter (Professional Organizers)
MaxPrint (local printing company)
Cherry Blossom Events (local wedding/event planner)
R2 Interior Design
Caroline Alden Photography
Ish Holmes Photography
Mollie Tobias Photography
Photography by Exposure by Michelle Riordan
Tea Time Tea Room in Gainesville